Blue Heron Whitewater Guide School
Have you ever wanted to learn how to guide a raft in whitewater? Whether you're interested in becoming a professional whitewater guide or gaining the skills necessary to take your friends and family down a wild river, Blue Heron Whitewater Guide School is the place to begin.
At Blue Heron Whitewater we have a wealth of river experience. Course instructors have years of experience traveling, paddling, and living on rivers all over the world.
We are offering three four-day classes this spring.
Do you live nearby in Asheville, Western NC or East TN? We are offering a Weekend Whitewater Warrior (WWW) course in April over two weekends so you can get your stay-cation on!
1. Introduce participants to the skills needed to guide recreational trips on class I - IV whitewater.
2. To prepare those interested in becoming professional guides.
3. To help participants develop judgement for assessment and navigation of whitewater environments.
- Paddling technique
- Hydrology, rapid classification, and water reading
- Teamwork and leadership
- Risk management
- Use and selection of river equipment
Classes will take place on section 9 of the French Broad River and at the Blue Heron Whitewater facilities. Instructors may choose to utilize other nearby rivers.
Course Requirements: Good health and a positive attitude, no prior experience necessary